Tuesday, September 13, 2016

How to Survive High School



Last week (when this post was supposed to go up, but somehow disappeared and ruined my cosmic timing) I started my junior year of high school.  It's going to be difficult and tedious every step of the way.  I rather deal with taking down a dystopian government than with hormonal teenagers that have the emotional range of a teaspoon (thanks, Hermione).  If only I were attending Hogwarts instead...

Don't procrastinate 



I cannot stress this enough: do not leave assignments until the last minute.  They're tedious and stressful, but leaving them until the night before only causes more worry. Netflix can wait.

Snacks



School is a time-sucking, soul-sucking monstrosity but snacks definitely alleviate some of that pain. 

Ask for help



As a stubborn perfectionist, asking for help is not a priority to me.  But sometimes struggling and trying to solve issues on your own only damages you--and your grade--more.  It's okay to ask for help.

Do the work



When I hear kids complaining about the teacher giving them a low grade when all they did was sit in the back talking and never put in any effort, it frustrates me like nothing else.  If you just do the work and actually try, you'll do okay.  As much as it sucks, the stuff you do in school heavily determines your future.  Do the work now and you'll be grateful later.

Put yourself first



School takes over your entire life, especially if you are aiming for all A's, but you have to remember that your mental health comes before any grade.  School is beyond stressful, and sometimes you have to step back and take a breath.

Get enough sleep




This is something I need to follow, too.  It is so unhealthy to not get a full night's sleep. Trust me on this, you cannot survive on 4 hours of sleep for long.  And naps are always a good idea.

Participate



Movies and adults often send the message that high school is meant to be the best time of your life.  Not one letter of that is remotely true.  High school is 4 hectic, messy years, but that doesn't mean that you should simply allow them to slip by.  Go to the cheesy school dances and football games.  Be a teenager, because as exhausting as that is, you'll never be one again.  

Organization



It sounds easy, but it isn't always.  Remaining organized and motivated as the months drag on can often feel like an impossible task, but it can be done.  Don't be that kid who never has a pencil and leaves their textbook in random classes.


Be yourself



School is a pressurized, judgmental environment where people with jump at any chance to criticize you.  All I can say is this:  don't give a fuck.  While fitting in seems easiest, losing who you are for the sake of it is never worth it.  You won't see these people ever again in ten years time, so don't care what they think of you now.  The only thing that matters is what you think of yourself.  Besides, who wants to be just another teenage stereotype?

And remember...



High school is not forever.  It may seem like your entire life now, but it will fly by faster than you think.  These aren't going to be your glory years, but that doesn't mean you can't make them count.  One way or another, you'll survive it and come out better for it in the end.  




6 comments:

  1. Aww, isn't this post nice and encouraging!! I'm honestly super glad I never went to actual highschool as a teen. XD #HomeschoolingFTW But I do think tons of these are super important for any time of life. Like getting a good night's sleep? YUP. Asking for help? YUP. Enjoying whatever stage of life you're at because you'll never have it again? YUP. You're very wise, Erin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homeschooling sounds so much more relaxed! Did you get to wear your pajamas all day? I'm really happy you enjoyed this post, Cait. I definitely need to follow this advice more, myself. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I second all of these tips! I can't think of anything else I would add - you nailed it, and it was following these guidelines that allowed me to have an overall fantastic (though definitely not peak-of-my-life) four years. I struggled a lot with "put yourself first" in high school; I tried to get 100%s on everything, worried myself sick over AP exams, and basically was an incurable stress case. (I tried, though!) But now that I'm in college, I'm quickly learning that it's impossible to get a perfect score on everything, and my time could be better spent joining organizations and allowing myself to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Emily! I'm still in high school and sometimes I wonder if I'll ever survive it. I try to follow this advice myself, but it doesn't always work out. I definitely put grades before myself, which I shouldn't do. I'm a giant ball of stress most of the time. This year I'm really trying to be better, though. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I had to comment here because I know how much effort went into writing this post! And it was definitely worth it, Erin! I love all of your advice and I should definitely follow more of it myself... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Rebekah! I'm so happy you liked it and I'm really lu my to have a blogging buddy like you.

      Delete