Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Postcards from May


Summer is finally so close I can almost taste it...or feel it?  Smell it?  Who came up with these expressions anyway?  But in all seriousness, May has been a whirlwind of end of the school year insanity and I'm a little shocked I made it through all in one piece.


Books


A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab



You might think that since it took me an entire month to read this (absolutely beautiful) finale to the Shades of Magic series, I wouldn't have enjoyed it, right?  Wrong.  In fact, it's just the opposite.  I am stuck with the perpetual problem of taking far longer than normal to read finales because I simply don't want them to end and therefore draw out the experience as long as I possibly can. 

Anthem by Ayn Rand


I read this one for my AP Literature class and ended up really enjoying it.  Anthem is definitely more of a philosophical story, one that is created in order to present ideas rather than inspire marvel at the writing prowess, but that's the real triumph of Rand's early novel.  

Media


Doctor Who


I've been a major Doctor Who fan since I was a kid (thanks, dad) and so it should come as no surprise that the new season of the show has been a recent obsession of mine.  I personally adore Capalldi as the doctor, and I will miss him terribly when he leaves.  

Riverdale


I may have binge watched the entire first season of this in the span of a week.  I wasn't expecting to enjoy Riverdale as much as I did, but the filming itself was beautiful, as well as the characters and setting.  They managed to take some typical small town cliches and add some depth to them in a really cool way.

Bill Nye Saves the World


I don't know about you, but I think Bill Nye the Science Guy is awesome.  Science is awesome.  Especially when it's framed in a funny way.

Music



I'm usually into more rock/alternative types of music, but this month I've been playing Aurora's All My Demons Greeting Me as a Friend album over and over and over again.  

Highlights


May has been kind of all over the place; I've had exams, I was sick that same week, and I've been preparing for prom and my dance recital.  But I also got to go on a field trip to D.C., which was the first field trip I have been on since I was 11.  I love D.C., especially the museums, so it was an extraordinary day.

6 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, I NEED to read the Shades of Magic series. It's been on my TBR since July. *cry* I didn't read a lot of books this month, either, but I did really enjoy Caraval by Stephanie Garber.

    YESSS, SCIENCE. I'd been wondering if I should watch Bill Nye Saves the World. I've recently discovered SciShow on YouTube, and I've been binging their biology and astrophysics videos.

    Best of luck with your recital! What kind of dance do you do?

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, seriously, READ THEM. They are beautifully done. I REALLY want to read Caraval, mostly because of that cover, I'm not going to lie. And man I love Bill Nye. I'll have to check out SciShow! And my recitals and prom went really well! I do ballet and lyrical currently, although I used to do tap and jazz, too. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE RIVERDALE! Honestly it's such a cheesy show and the acting isn't that great but it's one of those addicting shows that I just can't stop watching! Hope you enjoy your prom! Happy June :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I would like it but it was much better done than I expected! And yeah, the acting is iffy (especially with Archie) but the visuals are stunning. Prom was super fun and I hope June is, too. Thanks for commenting, Emily!

      Delete
  3. Glad you made it through May!! I was thinking of binge watching Riverdale so maybe I will now. Sorry you were sick. Hope you have fun at Prom and good luck with your recital!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May was rough, I'm not going to lie! But I would totally recommend Riverdale. Prom and my recitals were awesome and thanks for commenting, Grace!

      Delete