Monday, January 1, 2018

New Year + Big News


Happy New Year! I suppose I'm here wondering how to start this off right, as we all do this time of year. I'm not really one for the "new year, new me/new start" mindset; I am too reluctant to let go of the past year when the new one rolls around. I spend my years counting down dates and hours towards something exciting, and yet when the time finally runs out and the new year arrives, I am perpetually surprised. I suppose I get caught up in the mentality of it all, even when time is such a fickle concept that just runs through my fingers and falls away off worlds without me noticing. I don't want to miss a second of it, even while I sometimes wish the seconds away in favor of the future. 

But this year, one of the craziest and busiest years of my life, yet also the most rewarding, I don't think anyone could blame me. I spent this year preparing and planning, while all the while I tried to make the most of the sparse minutes. And whether I failed or succeeded--or both--I don't particularly mind. I have tended a new collection of memories to join the newsreel playing in my mind, and all of the preparing? Well, that paid off. And that brings us to the big news I should share, the reason I have been so distracted and stressed, and, yes, excited... I was accepted early decision to my top college, the College of William and Mary, where I have dreamed of attending since I was eleven. But that dream is a reality now, and that is the reason this coming year is something I don't really know how to plan for. I don't know what to expect, not really, but isn't that the most exciting part? It's an adventure, a new narrative of my life about to begin. I don't know where it will take me, but to me, that's the best part. 



Amidst all this madness, a few things have remained constant and hopefully always will: my love of reading and books, my family, and this blog. Even when I am gone, off executing all this plans I've mentioned, I know my archive is still there waiting for my return. Like my own life, I don't yet know what journey awaits the archive, but I am excited to find out. To good books, warm nights with friends and family, and new adventures. 



This is a year to change all years. I cannot formulate too many tangible goals since I do not know what turns life will take in these next few months, so I suppose I will have to learn along the way. But here are a few to start.

read more

I'm not setting a page count or a minimum amount to reach. Reading has always been a passion and a hobby, not a job or a chore. I just want to focus on making the time to enjoy the things I love, like reading. I always complain that there aren't enough hours in the day, and that the limited amount I have available is spent doing things I don't find important or enjoyable, but unfortunately necessary. But this year, I will create time if I have to, because life does not deserve to be spent dwelling on insignificant events.

improve my baking



I don't remember if or how much I have mentioned this, but in 2017, I became somewhat of an avid baker. I'm talking macarons, gingerbread houses, cakes, etc. It's a hobby I do together with my boyfriend, and I've come to love it (and the sugar). In 2018, there are a few new recipes I want to tackle, such as swiss rolls and cobbler, and maybe I'll share them on here.

accept change 

This coming year is a mystery to me. Everything is going to change, whether I like it or not. While I am not apprehensive of change, that does not mean it will be easy. 

live with intention

A lot of the time, too often, I feel as if I am simply existing or drifting through life. There are so many things I want to do, and yet I feel as if I am held back by all of life's inane requirements. But this is a juncture in my life this year, and I intend to start making my own purpose, rather than allowing everything else to control me. This is my life, and I should be able to live it the way I want instead of the way I think I should. I can't help being a planner and thinking ahead, but I too often forget to live in the moment and that needs to change. You can't live wishing the minutes away. This year, as with all the years, I want to make memories that matter and experience all of the moments that life has to offer. 


"Face your life, it's pain, it's pleasure. Leave no path untaken."
Neil Gaiman



14 comments:

  1. Congrats on being accepted to your college of choice! How exciting! Good luck with all of your resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg that's SO AMAZING!!!! Congrats on being accepted to your top college I'm so happy for you!! I really hope it's everything you dreamed of and that you have a really good year there. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I literally cried when I found out. In public. Happy 2017 and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Congrats for your college acceptance! I’m in first year university currently and while the experience is completely different than high school, it is so rewarding. Good luck in 2018, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am so ready for high school to end and college to begin. Happy 2017 and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. OHH THAT'S AMAZING NEWS ERIN! Congratulations for being accepted to your dream college! I know some people says the transition can be hard but I'm sure you can do it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so so so excited, it's unreal. I'm not too nervous yet, just very happy and ready for high school to be over. I have a feeling I will enjoy college much more. Thanks for commenting, Tasya!

      Delete
  5. AHHHH CONGRATS!! I visited William & Mary recently, and it's such an incredible campus. Best of luck with everything!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! It's such a Hogwarts-type campus, isn't it? I'm so excited. Happy 2018!

      Delete
  6. omg, congratulations on the acceptance to college of william & mary!! I'm a junior right now and *starting* to look at colleges and william & mary was one I am thinking about. Best of luck with your resolutions this year!

    claire @ clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so happy and I live near the college already, I would totally recommend it. It's so beautiful and such a great college. Happy New Year and thanks for commenting, Claire!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Erin! William & Mary is a beautiful campus. Good luck on your resolutions!

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! It's so old and gorgeous, I can't wait. Happy New Year!

      Delete